Monday, December 12, 2011

I want to become a military intelligence officer. should i go ROTC or just wait?

I am a junior in college and i am majoring in law enforcement.



my ultimate goal is to work for the FBI or the DOD or something of that nature.



i always planned on going into the military, but after sitting in classrooms my entire life i am beginning to become restless, and feel insignificant.



my question is



should i wait until i graduate from college and then go OCS. or should i join the ROTC and become an officer through them.



The ROTC seems like a lot of busy work and fluff, and the OCS seems like more of a direct route after college, but i am not sure which one is better, and which one will allow me to get the job i want in the military.



I don't care about the money, this is simply a career move. as the FBI and DOD will look at candidates with military experience first.



i have talked to a few recruiters but to tell you the truth they sound like a bunch of snake oil salesmen trying to get me to sign my life over. promising me a job in MI. when in fact they could retract that at the drop of a hat and have me working at a kitchen in Fallujah, or getting my *** blown off in the streets of Baghdad.



don't get me wrong. its not that i don't want to see some action. its just not my first choice.



I want to become a Military Intelligence Officer. tell me how to do that.I want to become a military intelligence officer. should i go ROTC or just wait?
I went to ROTC so I may be a little biased but I think that is the best option. The program is a minimum of two years, but they can and most likely will pay for it. Seeing as how you are a junior, you could actually start working on a master's degree that second year. It really depends on how you're looking with your credit hours.



As far as MI, it really is a hard branch to get. There is no way to completely guarantee your branch. It seems that OCS is harder to get what you want though. In ROTC, you get ranked nationally and for the most part, the higher you are, the better chance you have of getting what you want. It's based highly on GPA and leadership that's accessed in ROTC and at LDAC. You can do an ADSO to improve your chances of getting the branch you want, but it will add years of service should you get that branch.



Be careful with OCS, because it's not guaranteed you will even get to go after you complete Basic and AIT.



Overall, I suggest ROTC. You can work hard and apply yourself, and it won't be a waste of time. You'll learn a lot and have a good chance of getting MI if you keep GPA up and develop your leadership skills.I want to become a military intelligence officer. should i go ROTC or just wait?
Well since you are not consistant in the capitalization of the proper noun 'I' then no, you don't seem to have the basic attention to detail or intelligence to be an officer.



Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Both options are about the same..... When you complete either of them you will be given a ';Dream Sheet';.....you will select three branches.....The military will ';try'; to give you your first choice.....but you will be assigned to the branch based on their needs not your desire

While it is true you can later possibly change branches (??) it is not the best course

Based on your major I feel you will possibly end up in the MP's

In your shoes I would go ROTC.... trust me.....I went to OCS.....and I taught ROTC at two universities.... your chances of getting some help is better in ROTC.... (BTW keep my address.....in your third year when you go to summer camp.....contact me I will give you some good tips)

While I was an Engineer officer.....I also spent considerable time in the Intelligence field ( both enlisted and officer)....



If you want to work for the FBI / DOD.....why serve in the military at all?..... Why not explore the options of going to work for them without the detour to the military

No comments:

Post a Comment