Friday, November 19, 2010

Can an arrest record work against me on an college application or wall street job app?

I am currently 16 years old and I am almost 100% sure that Id like to pursue a career on Wall Street or in banking



Earlier this year(I was still 16 then) I got into a huge fight with my parents and I got arrested and I was charged with Criminal Mischief



the Judge gave me an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal(so I can confidently say no to any questions pertaining to Convictions, as i didnt get convicted, it didnt even go to trial), itll be dismissed and sealed if i stay out of trouble for 6 months. which I have



I am equally sure that once I leave my parents, I will not get into any more trouble with the law because I know what kind of person I am



So do Wall street jobs question if you've ever been ARRESTED before? According to NY criminal law, an arrest is either -pending or -led to a conviction, neither of which applies to me



however, I am still unsure of how to answer that.



A Lawyer that gave me free legal advice told me that the FBI keeps arrest records forever, so really big businesses that cant afford to have anything go wrong just might conduct a background check against the FBI records



If they see that Ive been arrested once before at age 16 because of something like Criminal Mischief, even if it was dismissed, could the mere presence of an arrest record in the FBI system disqualify or work against me in my pursuit of a job on Wall Street?



thanks a lot in advance



P.S. My sincere apologies for any grammar mistakes that you make come across whilst reading this, I was in a big hurry



I know for a fact that I didnt use apostrophes so please excuse me



i was asking if the mere presence of an arrest record can deter potential employers



after all, an impeccable record is many times more preferableCan an arrest record work against me on an college application or wall street job app?
They can ask you about it and you can be honest about it. There is no such thing as a 100% sealed record, but these things are usually not held against you because of age and if it was indeed an isolated incident.



You need not worry about working at the Wall Street anytime soon. Get a solid education first. Besides, experienced Wall Street people are looking for a job for 1/3 of what they use to earn. It won't be changing for another decade or so. You have time to grow up and become somebody.Can an arrest record work against me on an college application or wall street job app?
Once a case is dismissed and sealed, any inquiries into a background check will come up clear. As to job applications, over 90 percent of them ask if you have been convicted of a crime. I'm sure that if you stay out of trouble, you will have no problem getting into a college or wall st. job.

No comments:

Post a Comment