Friday, November 19, 2010

Will becoming a Detective or Investigator in a local Police Department qualify me for the FBI?

I plan to get a Bachelor's degree Majoring in Accounting with Minors in Finance and Spanish while working as a full time Police Officer (and hopefully become a Detective or Investigator of some sorts). It should take me between 6-8 years to finish the degree then I will get out of Law Enforcement (only for 2 years) to get a job working under a CPA so that I can get certified as a CPA then apply for the FBI. That means that when I go to join the FBI I will be around 31 and I will qualify under the Accounting Entry Program and get the Accounting Critical Skill along with the Language proficiency and hopefully Law Enforcement.



That is my plan. Is it good or should I change it (and how should I change it)?



So will being any type of Investigator or Detective at a local Police Department qualify me for the Law Enforcement Critical Skill? (The FBI site says: To qualify for the Law Enforcement Critical Skill, a candidate must have at least two years of full-time investigative experience in a law enforcement agency.)Will becoming a Detective or Investigator in a local Police Department qualify me for the FBI?
That's a great plan but you are assuming that a police department AND the FBI are going to hire you. Maybe you are not aware of this but the FBI hires only about .005% of those who apply. The rest are not qualified or wash out somewhere along the way. Police departments hire around 1% of those who apply no matter how qualified you think you are.







Assuming that you do get hired by a police department I would keep it very quiet that you want to leave. The last thing that they want to do is spend a ton of money to train you only to see you apply for a federal agency.



I also don't follow your math. You are going to work for at least five years as a uniformed patrol officer before you would ever be considered for a position in detectives so you are going to be older than 31 when you apply for the FBI.Will becoming a Detective or Investigator in a local Police Department qualify me for the FBI?
I think you would have to have something going for you, like special promotions or citations to get into the FBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment