Sunday, November 21, 2010

If I pay a cash option for a warrant will the warrant still be active once im assigned a court date?

Ok being stupid working at a retail store i gave my friend a discount on merchandise and later terminated and charged for it. I was not arrested but was given a citation and told to call to obtain my court date and enter the digits on the citation. I called but no record was found of a court date I tried every other week and still no court date. So i forgot about and got a job at the airport which of course does FBI fingerprinted based background checks I passed and got the job but due to a lay off became unemployed 6 months later. After being offered another job I failed a background check due to a active warrant I knew nothing about which was Oct 20th 2009 when i was notified, The warrant has been active sense March 2009 and I obtained my job at the airport May 1st 2009.....I don't know how i passed one background check that took two weeks for the airport and failed an 48 hour background check but I did.....But at least I found out I had an active warrant before i was pulled over...I called and I can either turn myself in and bail 300 dollars or pay 50 dollars just to set up another court date....I have goals and i don't want this dumb discussion to mess up my life by obtaining a criminal record with THEFT BY SWINDLE being the charge...Is there anyway the judge will allow other punishment besides giving a record?If I pay a cash option for a warrant will the warrant still be active once im assigned a court date?
May try to get the prosecutor to agree to a pretrial diversion agreement. Where you would be law abiding for (1 year) and the state would dismiss the charge. They may require you to pay restitution for the stuff taken. It is worth a try - if not the n fight the charge. What have you got to lose?If I pay a cash option for a warrant will the warrant still be active once im assigned a court date?
The warrant that has been issued is likely a bench warrant, issued by the judge for your failure to appear at your trial. In most states, failure to appear is a separate charge. It sounds like you are being offered an opportunity to pay $50 to have the failure to appear charge dropped and have a new court date set for original theft charge. I would take this option, rather than being served with a warrant and having to post bail, which would probably result in an arrest record.



As far as trying to get your original charge dropped or reduced, your best bet is to hire an attorney. You could try to approach the prosecutor yourself, before court, and negotiate to plead guilty to a lesser offense, but your chance of success is greatly improved if you have an attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment