Friday, November 19, 2010

What are prospective employers looking at on my credit report?

I also need to know what comes up on a basic background check and an FBI background check. I've been applying to jobs and going to interviews which I seem to ace, then I don't get the job. I understand I lack a college education but I am attending school. I'm at a loss. I'm 28, have bad credit, and I'm trying to get my life on track but how am I expected to make it when no one will give me a chance. It's hard to repair credit and pay daily expenses when I can't get a better job.I'm on a strict budget, I'm making sacrifices. Are there any programs for single peolple, with no children, no criminal backgrounds and a somewhat unstable work history? How can a person who partied a little to hard in her early twenties get herself on her feet? Can some one please offer some suggestions?What are prospective employers looking at on my credit report?
First, don't give up. Your past is your past and unfortunately has a way of haunting you for some time.



14 years ago I got a DUI. That dogged me for a long time. Finally a friend told me to quit getting so down on myself and take pride in who I am now, not then. It's sound advice.



Your credit report will tell an employer if you're a flake or not. If your recent activity is positive, it's a sign that you follow through, if you have a lot of negative current crap on it, it's a bad sign. Be upfront with the interviewer if they ask for a credit report. Make sure they understand you're getting on your feet and are resolved to be a great employee.



An unstable work history will also not be in your favor. A person that lists way too many jobs on an application is not ';stable'; or seemingly employable for long stretches. If you seem to be flaky or flighty an employer will not invest the time and money to train you for a job you intend to leave in short order. Show some longevity, some roots. This give an employer the feeling of permanence.



Good luckWhat are prospective employers looking at on my credit report?
Employers base a character on their credit score. Which I don't think is fair. The background check - they are just looking for any kind of criminal activity %26amp; driving record. Your credit and your unstable work history is probably affecting you. Register with an employment or job placement agency and don't settle for less! Good luck!
I'm not sure what they are looking for on the credit report. Have you considered doing temp work or an internship? Temp work does not require a college degree or a stable work history. I did temp work for 3 or 4 years without a college degree and no real work history. An internship is generally provided for students or new grads in certain occupations. You might also consider visiting the campus career counselor for help.
They look for stability and responsibility. You could put in a consumer statement on you're credit report explaining your situation. It's free. You could say how young you were and didn't understand how to manage money and credit, and how you are more mature now and trying to build better credit and a life. This will show that you acknowledge the mess on you're report, you don't think it's acceptable either and you're trying to improve. You'll have to do this with all 3 major credit bureaus. It's worth a shot, it can't hurt. Just word it good, don't be defensive or mention the partying! You could also try getting a credit repair kit at staples or office depot. It tells you how to speak to the bureaus and companies you are in default with and clean up you're report. It has a bunch of different letters with the credit laws cited in them for you to add in you're own info and send to dispute things on you're report. I used it, it helped. I think it costs like $10-$15.

No comments:

Post a Comment