Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lied at meps?

When I went up to meps a few weeks ago I lied about my criminal history, saying I never got arrested. The arrest itself wasn't over anything serious but it is the fact that I actually got fingerprinted and arrested that worries me. Everyone I asked told me not to say anything about it so I didn't.



The job I want requires a top secret clearance. I hear that people who do have records sealed and doesn't show up in a local search, it still comes up on the FBI report and they don't get their clearance and in turn not get their job. Should I come clean with this? If so, how do I do so now that I am in DEP? My recruiter said that if I said anything about it, I wouldn't get the job I want, but the offense wasn't anything serious (I was just in an elementary school at the wrong time and got charged for breaking %26amp; entering and theft as I took some candy and hall passes). I am more worried about the marine corps thinking I'm a liar and refusing my clearance based on that.Lied at meps?
You need to correct this immediately.



If you need a TS clearance, they will find out about it. It doesn't matter what it was about, the fact that you lied about it will disqualify you from a TS Clearance. You need to be Trustworthy to work with our nation's secrets.



When you talk with the investigator who will do your initial interview for your background invetigation, tell them about it. Tell them everything, including why you lied about it in the first place. They do understand that people will tell you not to say anything about it, or that you were told to lied about it by people who would normally give you sound advice. In this case, they were wrong and you know that.



Your recruiter was an idiot for telling you that.



if you have any other questions about this, send me a message.Lied at meps?
you probably won't get top secret clearance.
You need to contact MEPS and tell them.



If they start your security investigation and find out, you will separated for a fraudulent enlistment.



And yes they can send you to prison for that.



If your recruiter won't handle this, you need to contact MEPS and tell them yourself.



While telling them, might prevent you from recieving a security clearance. There are plenty of jobs in the military that do not need security clearances.



By not telling them, you are basicly setting yourself up to be kicked out of the military, given a bad discharge.
YES COME CLEAN! During bootcamp I had a friend who was almost discharged because he had gotten arrested while he was in DEP. He was told not to worry about it since it was minor, so he didn't say anything about it. Then about midway through bootcamp, when we were just starting to get our military CAC ID cards, he never got his and had to go talk to legal or something. They told him he could be sent to the brig and/or dishonorably discharged.
if your recruiter knows, and told you not to say anything, then he is dead wrong. if you looking for a TS clearance, they are going to find it. your best bet is just to say ';o i forgot all about this one time....'; if you come clean, and no charges were made, then you might be alright. if they find it on there own, it will raise other questions.
if your arrest was nothing serious then why didnt you open your mouth. You gambled and you lost now suffer the consequences. Just answer the questions that are asked of you..in the first 2 days of boot camp this is gonna come up, they will ask if there is anything you left out and you better be clean...why start your military career with a lie? good luck and Semper Fi!
You can try and come clean now. The arrest will show up in your background check. If you lie, they can get you for fraudulent enlistment, kick you out and you can never jointhe military again. Go to your recruiter, tell him straight up and see what he can do for you to keep you in. Depending on what you were arrest for, it may not make any difference in getting your clearance. They are more interested in your ability to tell the truth! It will be better for you if you tell them vs. they find out about it on your background check.
If the charges were dropped or you were found Not Guilty do not even worry about it. If you were found guilty or had any type of conditions with your charge they are going to find out.
either way, you're pretty much f*cked because now that you lied about it even if you come clean you aren't going to get a TS clearance. whoever told you that it won't turn up during the clearance background investigation is dead wrong. your best bet is to tell your recruiter so he can try to change your MOS choice that won't require a TS clearance. if you go thru with the clearance they will turn up your lie and worst case scenario they can discharge you for fraudulent enlistment. meps is the wrong place to lie about stupid sh*t, my friend.
don't worry about it, keep your mouth shut, you should be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment