Sunday, November 21, 2010

From a programmer to a cop?

Well, I am actually just getting out of college with an Associates in IT but from all the doom and gloom I've been reading online about outsourcing and people hating this job I am thinking about doing something else. I really wanted to get into the FBI eventually and having experience in IT is one of their skill courses you can take.



I am only 21 years old and haven't really started a career yet so now I'm thinking it might be best to go into something else rather in programming.



So I guess my question is do you all think I should just be a cop or something instead rather then program? I like programming but I'm not crazy over it especially now that I am hearing all of these horror stories about how it sucks and programmers are fading out. As a long term career choice what should I do?From a programmer to a cop?
100% agree with ';nitaoe';...

When choosing a carrier (that is something you intend to do for considerable length of time) choose something that YOU like and that YOU will like doing for the next 10-20-30 years...

I have been in computer programming for the last 20 years and I do NOT see any horrors with outsourcing...

If you are GOOD at what you do you will always be able to find a suitable job, just do NOT choose a future job on the basis of pay/reward, but on the basis of your own interests and abilities...From a programmer to a cop?
Are these stories from reliable sources?



Anyone that is complaining loudly about outsourcing has no idea what they are talking about. Yes, jobs are being outsourced. Did you want to take the telemarketing job? I didn't think so.



If want to be a programmer, be a programmer. I'm a programmer and I have no qualms about job security. There are many jobs available that need computer people and can not outsource jobs to other countries.



If other hate their job, that is their issue. You can still get into the FBI, you know? You see all the TV shows that have tech people. Yes I know they are TV shows, and a lot of what they show is made up, but they do need programmers to make the programs they use, to run the databases of information they access, etc.



If you want to be a cop, be a cop. Just don't change your mind on what you want to do, just because others (who may or may not be authorities on their field) tell you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment