Sunday, November 21, 2010

Could someone give me some advice on my education and work prospects?

I'm going to be graduating with my Associates degree in Criminal Justice in May 2010. My game plan is to finish out my bachelors degree in the same field, and eventually pursue law school.



Although I initially want to become a prosecutor, I want to be a police officer first (they're both passions of mine). Anyway, I'm 23, have a clean record, I'm in decent enough physical shape (and I'm working out and running more and more by the day) and I don't do drugs. Basically I think I could be considered a reasonable candidate for a police academy.



The reason school is taking me so long is because I switched my major a while back and I changed schools before. I have $35,000 in student loan debt due to out-of-state tuition being so high (that's also another reason I really wanted to go back to community college).



My initial question is: I know it's possible to get into a local police academy with or without a degree, and I know it's possible to apply and get into state police or even the FBI with only an associates degree.



Have any of you ever gotten a job as a cop and had their employer pay for you to pursue a higher education? I want to minimize my student loan debt at all possible points, and it would be an added perk to have my continuing education paid for, seeing as how my debt is so high already.Could someone give me some advice on my education and work prospects?
To become a police officer, the standard requirement for most major police agencies seems to be a minimum of 60 undergraduate hours, although some allow substitution of military service, and a Bachelor's degree may be preferred (generally required for federal special agent positions). Some agencies have age limits, for federal jobs it is 21 minimum and 37 maximum. Any major is acceptable, but Criminal Justice, Computer Science, Sociology, or Psychology may stand you in better stead. Smaller agencies may have a high school requirement. The agency normally provides training, but some states may have private academies (like TX). There are more applicants than there are positions. Those meeting the minimum requirements may not compare well to the best qualified applicants. Many agencies have increased pay levels for higher education, and higher education facilitates promotion.



A Bachelor's degree is required for federal special agent positions (very few exceptions). Any major is acceptable, but computer science, Criminal Justice, Sociology, or Psychology, may stand you in better stead. I recommend that individuals major in psych and minor in CJ (even though I majored in CJ, BS %26amp; PhD). I attended an agency-sponsored Masters program for an MS in management. GPA, work experience, ability to communicate orally and in writing, and graduate degrees are what determine who gets hired for federal positions. And, there are always more applicants than positions. Those meeting the minimum requirements may not compare well to the best qualified applicants.



The FBI likes lawyers and accountants, but they hire from various backgrounds (http://www.fbijobs.gov/). Other federal agency job announcements should be available at https://my.usajobs.gov/login.aspx; acceptance of applications is cyclical. NCIS檚 website: http://www.ncis.navy.mil/.



You must have no felony arrests, and many misdemeanor arrests are also disqualifying. And, a domestic violence conviction will be disqualifying. Any prior drug use of any sort may be disqualifying, although exceptions are possible in some agencies. There may be a written exam, medical exam, polygraph test, physical fitness test, drug test, minimum eyesight requirements, psychological evaluation, oral board examination, and full background check. As I said, there are always more applicants than there are positions, so it may take many application submissions to get an acceptable job (at least it did for me). Contact the agency directly or look for their website, which will list their employment qualifications and requirements.Could someone give me some advice on my education and work prospects?
The government paid for 2/3 of my master's degree, and I did it on gvt time. Most fed agencies have tuition assistance programs; however, it is unlikely that any agency will pay for you to go to school full-time.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment