Friday, November 19, 2010

Which MOS is for me? (I want to be able to leave the army with skills to attain a professional type job)?

I'm interested in either becoming a Computer Software or Hardware Engineer, Accountant, Air Traffic Controller, maybe even FBI, DEA, SWAT, US Marshal, ATF, Plainclothes Detective/Undercover Police, or something similar to any of those. I have no idea how these MOS translate in the civilian world. I know there are several MOS in the army that deal with computers, finance, police work, and air traffic control but I have no idea if they will give me the skills to be able to get a decent job afterwards. I am hoping that I will be motivated to go to school after the army since I am not motivated now. But incase I am not motivated I would like to have a decent job where I don't do too much physical work like mechanics or anything where I have to build something (physical police work is fine) but more mental professional type work. Basically I want to know what the average person would have the best shot at obtaining a civilian job based on those interests. I know that the army will help me out in whatever I want to do but what I am asking for is a little guidance because right now at this point in my life I really don't want to go to school so any help would be greatly appreciated.Which MOS is for me? (I want to be able to leave the army with skills to attain a professional type job)?
i can't vouch for the army, specifically, but when i was in the marine corps, in boot camp we took a battery of tests and, depending on how well we did, we were given an MOS that we were ';qualified for'; (by scoring well on that part of the test) and one that also met the needs of the corps. I would imagine the army follows the same basic procedure. That said, if you are in longer than two years, i would imagine if you do not like your assigned MOS, you will have an opportunity to attend other schools/training and have two, maybe three different MOS's. By broadening your training in the army, it will give you that many more options to choose a job once you get out and back into ';civilian life';. And try not to be too concerned with your lack of motivation at the present time---i was a junior in college and wasn't motivated either, and didn't know what i wanted to do with my life, so i dropped out, enlisted in the marines---and was sent straight to vietnam. Let me tell you, i got ';motivated real quick. No matter, once you're out, you'll be eligible for the GI Bill, so you'll be good to go into the field you think will be best suited for you and one you will enjoy. All the best to you--- and stay safe.Which MOS is for me? (I want to be able to leave the army with skills to attain a professional type job)?
thats quite a diversity.

if you want to do computor stuff then sign on for a computor or commo job.

if you want to be a detective with the fbi or what not, join as an MP.

if you want to be an ';operator'; with any of those, army SF or rangers is the way to go.
1. Swat is not a job, you will not ever see '; swat '; advertised looking for people. Swat is a position that police officers in some departments can hold.



2. Almost every professional job you listed, require a college degree, if not a graduate degree.



You will not be trained to that level in the military.



3. The only job on your list of civilian jobs you have a chance at with just a military background, is Air traffic controller.



Engineers need college engineering degrees

Accountants need college accounting degrees

Federal law enforement need college degrees, most want graduate degrees



To be a detective, you have to be a police officer for 5 years or so, first.



So, if you want any of those jobs, what you do in the military, really doesn't matter, because you would have to use your gi bill, after the military, to go to college.
If you're looking to be a computer software or hardware engineer, there is no Army MOS that will get you close to that. The best you can do is go to school using the GI Bill for that. It's not to knock the Army; these professions require a different skillset and are not a focus of the operational nature of the Army.



Choosing an engineering MOS will be great for construction management jobs in the civilian sector. You will be building all sorts of structures for the Army.



A variety of MOS's are quite good for law enforcement. Military intelligence, Military Police, and almost all the combat arms positions (infantry) will give you good training, and you will benefit from the preferential hiring of military veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment